Yesterday was the last day of our vacation, and much of the day was spent taking down the Christmas decorations, making piles of stuff to donate and just generally de-cluttering. Among the clutter were piles of drawings, paintings and writings done by J+J (mostly Jenna, of course) over the holidays. Since the walls in Jenna’s room are already pretty well covered with her artwork, I started to move the new art into the storage bins in the garage. But in the course of cleaning up around the house, I happened upon a package of wooden dowels and decided I would make a mobile out of some of Jenna’s recent art. Definitely a better way to spend the day than cleaning up … and, more importantly, I ended up with a pretty cool way to display children’s art.
Here’s how I made it:
I started with a stack of art, some silver crochet thread and a batch of 12 inch wooden dowels. I ended up only using 4 of the dowels, but I would have liked to make a taller mobile by using more dowels.
I used a 3 inch hole punch to cut the art into circles.
I glued 2 circles together (art facing outward) and then applied decoupage glue to each outer side (to make the circles sturdier).
While the circles were drying, I started to string together the dowels by tying knots along the center of each dowel (using a single strand of the thread).
I tied 4 dowels together, spacing them about 4-5 inches apart so that the circles could fit between them. (You could add more dowels to make a taller mobile)
Next, I used a hole punch to cut tiny circles out of the larger circles and then tied a small piece of thread to each one. At this point, I noticed that the circles were starting to curl up along the edges, so I placed them between a few books for several hours.
Later, I attached the circles to the wooden dowels, one on each end.
Once all of the circles were attached, I hung the mobile to the chandelier in our kitchen to balance it – basically just adjusting where the center knot falls and where each of the large circles are positioned.
Our mobile is still hanging in the kitchen, but today I hope to hang it up in Jenna’s room. I might try to add another dowel or two to make a taller mobile since she has high ceilings. We’ll see how it looks …